WHATCHU TALKIN BOUT WILLIS?

I grew up when Diff'rent Strokes was a popular television show. That's no big deal unless your last name is Willis. To this day I still hear those famous words popularized by Arnold: "Whatchu talkin bout Willis?" Usually they are uttered by someone looking at me as though I may have never heard it before. Yeah, right! Well this blog is what I (Willis) am talkin bout...my thoughts, observations & opinions. Enjoy...



Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Ever strugle being a parent? I'm reading Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp. Our Sunday school class is doing this together. Shepherd Press describes the book: "Shepherding a Child's Heart is about how to speak to the heart of your child. Bringing deep biblical principals to the task of parenting and concentrating on what is going on inside a child rather than just their outside behavior."

I'm about half way through it and boy do I already feel convicted! I have made several of the common mistakes that Tripp has pointed out thus far. I'm also doing the workbook, but I honestly find it a tad tedious at times. The videos are straightforward and insightful. I do find Tripp's approach to parenting to very refreshing as he constantly strives to embrace biblical standards for parenting. Tripp's valuable effort is tainted slightly by his Calvinism. A discerning reader should be able to safely navigate these waters however.

4 comments:

William Mckinley Dyer said...

Remind me and i will hook you up on Roger Chamber's seminar he did on how to be a parent

David H. Willis said...

Will do. Thanks.

Laura W. said...

I've never heard of this author before, and I've been looking for a book to read next, so I'll have to check it out. I enjoy reading parenting books even though they're almost always convicting. That's good though, right? (:

My favorite author on parenting is Kevin Leman. I'm sure you've heard of him before. Thanks for the info on the book!

David H. Willis said...

I like Leman too. I'd liek to hear what you thought of Tripp's book when you finish.