WHATCHU TALKIN BOUT WILLIS?
Thursday, February 26, 2009
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
- President Obama is a good speaker. However, I do not get the absolute fawning and infatuation that many pundits exhibit. Please! These people are mesmerized? Again, the President is a very good speaker - he's well prepared, his speeches are well written, he's comfortable & confident, and he delivers his message very well. I get that and appreciate it. BUT, again, I don't get the enraptured's praise. Admittedly, comparisons to his predecessor must contribute to the hype.
- I couldn't stop looking at Biden & Pelosi. I think the President should bring some more change to Washington and have the two of them seated in the audience. it's weird but it seemed like they should be extra's on the Adam's family or something.
- Biden's hyper-white teeth smiles and robotic clapping annowed me, but not nearly as much as his sidekick. She really bugged me...
- Nancy "Jack in the Box" Pelosi looked liked she'd been trainingg for this event. She sprang to her feet with the explosiveness of a preteen cheerleader. And what's up with her mouth? I guess all the work she's had done was bothering her or perhaps the heavy lipstick was irritating, but she kept doing these weird things with her mouth. Again, she needs to be in the audience, not behind the President on national TV!
- Finally, this is the first time I watched such an event in HD. Boy, those guys up there are....how shall I say it....quite advanced in years. I'm not saying that seniors should be disqualifed - I just happen to notice that it looked a little like Obama's speech to the AARP duting his campaign.
- Now about the substance of the President's speech... What substance?
Have a lovely day!
Monday, February 23, 2009
Norman Geisler & Frank Turek: “In Light of the evidence, we are left with only two options: either no one created something out of nothing, or else someone created something out of nothing. If you can’t believe that nothing caused something, then you don’t have enough faith to be an atheist. The most reasonable view is God.”
British Astronomer Sir Frederick Hoyle: “The chance that higher life forms arose by evolutionary processes is comparable with the chance that a tornado sweeping through a junkyard might assemble a Boeing 747 from the materials therein.”
William Dembski, author of The Design Revolution: “Nonetheless, naturalistic mechanisms are incapable of generating the highly specified, information-rich structures that pervade biology. Organisms display the hallmarks of intelligently engineered high-tech systems — information storage and transfer, functioning codes, sorting and delivery systems, self-regulation and feed-back loops, signal-transduction circuitry — and everywhere, complex arrangements of mutually interdependent and well-fitted parts that work in concert to perform a function.
The late Francis Crick (co-discoverer of DNA & 1962 Nobel Prize Winner): “An honest man, armed with all the knowledge available to us now, could only state that in some sense, the origin of life appears at the moment to be almost a miracle, so many are the conditions which would have had to have been satisfied to get it going.”
Sunday, February 22, 2009
Thursday, February 19, 2009
- He has revealed Himself to us. (through general & special revelation)
- The existence of our universe points to a Creator.
- The order and design of life point to a Designer.
- The continuation of the universe points to a Sustainer.
- The human sense of morality to points to a Lawgiver.
- Eternity is written on the hearts of people.
- Life without God is ultimately meaningless.
- The flow of human history conforms to a divine plan.
- Miraculous events confirm the supernatural.
- Other belief systems are inadequate alternatives.
Monday, February 16, 2009
Craig Blomberg of Denver Seminary wrote, "Popular level guides to the Book of Revelation abound, but most of them either insist that the last book of the Bible is a road map of current events or a source for reconstructing first-century history only. Lowery avoids both of these pitfalls and deftly leads the lay person or college undergraduate down a safe path to interpretive sanity. Enjoyably written and peppered with personal illustrations, this is a welcome addition to a crowded field, and one which clearly stands out from the crowd!"
Perhaps you are an eschatalogical wiz... but if you are not, I recommend you check out Dr Robert Lowery's excellent work.
Thursday, February 12, 2009
When we were frist thinking of a boxer/bulldog the name "Dempsey" came to mind. "The Manassa Mauler" was without a doubt ferocious and a beast in the ring. He's one of my favorites from way back in the day. Anyway, we added many choices to our list of potential names for our new pup but the readers have spoken. Our pup is now officially "Dempsey." He's certainly active and intense, but I hope he doesn't end up vicious like his namesake. Ironically I voted for "Rumble" (Thinking of Michael "Let's get ready to rumble" Buffer). Thanks to all who voted!
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
First, we should note that we must avoid two unbiblical extremes: Eternal Security & Eternal Insecurity… The pendulum can swing too far ether way.
Eternal Security is the one extreme I'll address here.
Many scripture passages of scripture clearly point to the possibility of true Christians becoming lost. How? Through UNBELIEF. One must believe the gospel in order to be saved, and one must continue to believe in order to continue "in Christ." It is initially by faith, and continually by faith…
There are many bibklical appraoches to refuting the erroneous concept of "once saved, always saved" but I'll focus on just one. It involves the big little word "IF." Look at these conditional promises...
1 Cor 15:1-2: 1Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2By this gospel you are saved, IF you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.
Col 1:21-23: 21Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. 22But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation— 23IF you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.
My concern is that the pervasiveness of "eternal security" will result in eternal condemnation for some. I believe that there will be people who will end up lost because they believed they couldn’t be!
So, let's rekindle a concern for straying bothers & sisters.
James 5:19-20: 19My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, 20remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins.
And let's remind folks that we must remain FAITHful.2 Tim 2:12-13: 12if we endure, we will also reign with him. If we disown him, he will also disown us; 13if we are faithless, he will remain faithful, for he cannot disown himself.
And, finally, SO, if you claim to be a Christian, yet you are living in continual sin… it’s time to get serious & realize you are on a path of destruction! REPENT!!!
Heb 10:23, 26-31: 23Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful... 26If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. 28Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace? 30For we know him who said, "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," and again, "The Lord will judge his people." 31It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
KEY VERSE: 1 Peter 1:5: Who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.
Sunday, February 08, 2009
Thursday, February 05, 2009
Tuesday, February 03, 2009
"The first time He came the reality of the fullness of His person was hidden. The next time He comes, it won't be. The next time there will be no Bethlehem, there will be no stable, there will be no manger, there will be no carpenter shop, there will be no humble village. There will be no poverty, no dusty roads to walk, no sinners to attack Him and grieve Him, no false religious leaders to oppose Him. There will be no demons who will stalk His steps, no soldiers to pound nails into His hands and thorns into His brow. There will be no spear run into His side. There will be no cross, not the next time. The next time He comes it is the unveiling. There will be no humble form. There will be no servant form. There will be no human form alone, but only that glorified God/Man in full blazing Shekinah presence."