WHATCHU TALKIN BOUT WILLIS?

I grew up when Diff'rent Strokes was a popular television show. That's no big deal unless your last name is Willis. To this day I still hear those famous words popularized by Arnold: "Whatchu talkin bout Willis?" Usually they are uttered by someone looking at me as though I may have never heard it before. Yeah, right! Well this blog is what I (Willis) am talkin bout...my thoughts, observations & opinions. Enjoy...



Thursday, February 19, 2009

Why Believe in God?


I'm preaching a sermon series answering questions asked by Christians & non-Christians. It's called "You Asked For It!" The church folks wrote their questions down and gave them to me (or emailed them). We solicited the non-church folks via text messages (& had a great response). Some really challenging questions were asked and I've dealt with several already: Why do bad things happen to good people? Once I'm saved am I always saved? Are we supposed to fear God? What does it mean to be born again? Do I have to go to church? More are coming dealing with topics like homosexuality, the reliability & accuracy of the Bible, creation vs. evoltution, etc. This Sunday I'm answering the classic "Why believe in God?" question. In preparation I've been reading Nathan Busenitz's "Reasons We Believe: 50 lines of evidence that confirm the Christian faith." There are many similar resources out there, but I'll be leaning heavily on Busentiz because I have found his work to be excellent, readable and concise. Below are his 10 reasons.



  1. He has revealed Himself to us. (through general & special revelation)

  2. The existence of our universe points to a Creator.

  3. The order and design of life point to a Designer.

  4. The continuation of the universe points to a Sustainer.

  5. The human sense of morality to points to a Lawgiver.

  6. Eternity is written on the hearts of people.

  7. Life without God is ultimately meaningless.

  8. The flow of human history conforms to a divine plan.

  9. Miraculous events confirm the supernatural.

  10. Other belief systems are inadequate alternatives.






1 comment:

Soren said...

Tim Keller's "The Reason for God" is another excellent resource.