WHATCHU TALKIN BOUT WILLIS?

I grew up when Diff'rent Strokes was a popular television show. That's no big deal unless your last name is Willis. To this day I still hear those famous words popularized by Arnold: "Whatchu talkin bout Willis?" Usually they are uttered by someone looking at me as though I may have never heard it before. Yeah, right! Well this blog is what I (Willis) am talkin bout...my thoughts, observations & opinions. Enjoy...



Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Darrel Cordrey


I was recently called and informed that Darrel Cordrey had died suddenly while cutting grass. Darrel was the first real preacher I ever heard and thus he will always have a special place in my life. I didn't grow up in a Christian home and never "went to church." Finally, as a senior in highschool I went with a friend to the Northside church (then in Newport News). I was apprehensive to say the least. My two main recollections about those days were that people treated me nicely and I liked listening to the preacher. I had made fun of many TV preachers (& still do), but this guy seemed genuine and passionate. Darrel baptized me in January of 1983 and left Northside just months later. I only spoke with Darrel one time after that, yet he always remained an important influence in my life. I remember his newsletter articles always closing with the admonition to "keep on keeping on for Jesus." He did. I look forward to becoming reacquainted with my brother on the other side.

2 comments:

Soren said...

I remember you talking about him. We never forget our spiritual obstetricians, do we? Where would you be today, had you not chosen the path of Christ? Scary to think about, isn't it?

David H. Willis said...

It is scary. I'd be headed for eternal destruction. Thanks for making me think. I have so much to be eternally thankful for. Praise God!