WHATCHU TALKIN BOUT WILLIS?

I grew up when Diff'rent Strokes was a popular television show. That's no big deal unless your last name is Willis. To this day I still hear those famous words popularized by Arnold: "Whatchu talkin bout Willis?" Usually they are uttered by someone looking at me as though I may have never heard it before. Yeah, right! Well this blog is what I (Willis) am talkin bout...my thoughts, observations & opinions. Enjoy...



Thursday, December 18, 2008

Sammy Baugh


One of he legends of football has died. "Slingin" Sammy Baugh was a "Ruthian" figure in the early days of professional football. Baugh played for the Washington Redskins (1937-1952) and excelled on offense, defense & special teams! He did stuff that NO ONE does these days. Sure the game has changed, but Baugh is overlooked because of the prevalence of chronological snobbery that blinds people to the accomplishments of the great players of yesteryear. This is true of most sports with baseball being the one dramtic exception. Baseball almost reveres its old timers. If you want to check out more about a great one go here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad he had to play for Washington (I loathe the Deadskins).

I love what he said after another great early QB, Sid Luckman, and the Chicago Bears totally destroyed Washington in the '40 title game 73-0. When asked if the outcome would have been different had an end not dropped a pass from Baugh in the endzone, Baugh said, "Yeah. It would have been 73-7."

He could possibly be the greatest that's ever played the game.

David H. Willis said...

Aaron,
Deadskins? Say It Isn't So! You Are Out of Touch bro! I Can't Go for That (No Can Do), You're So Close, but so far away...

Anonymous said...

That's right. I said it.

DEADskins.

Loathe them.

Hate them.

Rejoice in every defeat (which, recently, has been a lot).

How on earth do you lose to the 1-10-1 Bengals? Ah, you poor fans are pining for the days when crazy ol' Jack Kent Cooke was the owner and John Riggins was grinding out yards (when he wasn't drunk).

Well... I'm pining for the days when George Halas was still the owner/coach of my beloved Bears.

Face it. Both our teams suck.

David H. Willis said...

Maybe if the Bears & Skins merged they would be good...probably not...never mind.