WHATCHU TALKIN BOUT WILLIS?

I grew up when Diff'rent Strokes was a popular television show. That's no big deal unless your last name is Willis. To this day I still hear those famous words popularized by Arnold: "Whatchu talkin bout Willis?" Usually they are uttered by someone looking at me as though I may have never heard it before. Yeah, right! Well this blog is what I (Willis) am talkin bout...my thoughts, observations & opinions. Enjoy...



Wednesday, July 02, 2008

I was thinking....

...about the various jobs I've had. I don't have any real skills, but I do have experience. I'm sure I've missed something but here they are...
  • Made screens for windows & helped install storm doors & windows.
  • Helper/Laborer for mecahnical company...A/C, plumbing, boilers, etc. I got to run a jackhammer which is probably the most macho job I've ever done.
  • Cleaned pools. (Yuck!)
  • Worked on campus doing "maintenance" & grounds stuff at Christopher Newport University.
  • Delivered flowers. Got lost a few times too.
  • Sold memberships at a private purchasing club (Uniway).
  • Briefly tried insurance sales.
  • Material handler...became fork lift driver as well a stockpicker operator (anybody know what that is?).
  • Supervisor in a telephone center...later specialized in sales, promotions & training.
  • Manager in a warehouse: 3rd Shift Stocking, Picking, Receiving, etc. (I moved around a lot).
  • Account Executive (radio sales guy). Outside sales & cold calling can beat you down but I did fairly well.
  • I'm currently in paid ministry at a local church.
Some of those weren't the most fun inherently, but I usually had a good time anyway. I like people and I met a lot of them and even made a few memories. I wonder what my future holds. I occasionally think about trying my own business, but never go beyond just mental gymnastics & hypotheticals.

I wonder what the future holds. If it's like the past it should be unpredictable that's for sure.

No comments: