- Long time church member approaches me with this question: "If the Bible says 'thou shalt not kill' why isn't the death penalty wrong?" I politely answered her question by reading Exodus with her and then suggested she start attending Sunday School.
- Long time church member says to a staff person: "My son has this idea that you're supposed to be baptized to be saved." (Sounds like your son is reading his Bible!)
- Long time church members quit a small group because questions arose and were answered regarding gender roles. (I could write a book on these scenarios: "When Women Wear the Pants").
- Long time church member leaves when I say the "Sinner's prayer isn't in the Bible."
- Long time church member refuses to go to small group Bible study around the corner from her home but will come if we move it "to the church."
John Macarthur says we should be the church militant. I'm thinking of some other phrases... How about the "church impotent" or the "church ignorant" or the "church indifferent?"