WHATCHU TALKIN BOUT WILLIS?

I grew up when Diff'rent Strokes was a popular television show. That's no big deal unless your last name is Willis. To this day I still hear those famous words popularized by Arnold: "Whatchu talkin bout Willis?" Usually they are uttered by someone looking at me as though I may have never heard it before. Yeah, right! Well this blog is what I (Willis) am talkin bout...my thoughts, observations & opinions. Enjoy...



Friday, June 27, 2008

Running out of gas...

Don't you hate running out of gas? I've done it more than enough times to get tired of it and to actually start glancing at my gauges every now and then. Sometimes I run low in the tank in this whole ministry thing too. More frequently than I'd want you to know. The preacher guy who baptized me way back in the day used to end his letters, newsletters, etc. with the memorable "Keep on keeping on for Jesus." That's stuck with me many years although I struggle to live up to it fully. It's funny but I was working on an upcoming sermon from 2 Corinthians. I'm in chapter four. Check out the opening verse: Therefore, having this ministry by the mercy of God, we do not lose heart. (ESV)

Well, it looks like I'm going to be preaching to myself!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Well Dave, your ears should have been burning the other day! I was talking about your sermons to my preacher here. I was telling him how dynamic and insightful they were, how you stepped on my toes so many times with things I needed to know to be a good Christian and how you encouraged me on a regular basis from the pulpit. You are an awesome preacher and I wish that I lived closer, because I would be in the pews every time the church was open. I miss the days when I could do that! Nowadays, it's a bit far to drive!

I still remember you coming to RBC to do my chapel talk. (Boy did that ruffle some feathers at the time, since they expected me to do it myself and I found a loophole on how to accomplish my chapel talk without having to go against my beliefs about women's roles!)

Anyways, keep up the awesome ministry. Though you may not hear it often enough, you have made a difference and are continuing to do so. I am so thankful that I met you because I do know that I would not be where I am in my Christian walk had it not been for the wisdom and insights you shared with me. Also, if it hadn't been for the fact that you let me bug you all the time.

I pray regularly for your ministry! God bless you! Thank you for all that you do!

David H. Willis said...

Thank you very much for your kind words and encouragement. I sincerely appreciate. I really do.

Unknown said...

David,
I have seen you preach for many years and even occasionally directly sought your council. I do get encouraged, corrected, enlightened, and much more by what you do. Please don't loose heart. It is wonderful to have a true
Man of God who is praying and doing his best to follow God's instructions . When you go on long enough it is disheartening. I have seen people expect you and other leaders to be more than human. We are all on this planet together, but that doesn't mean sometimes we don't want to jump off and get some peace. Thank you for what you do. I see how hard you and the elders work. I will pray for you too!
Some encouraging News for you: Philippians 4: 6 & 7
Phillipians 2: 1-11