WHATCHU TALKIN BOUT WILLIS?

I grew up when Diff'rent Strokes was a popular television show. That's no big deal unless your last name is Willis. To this day I still hear those famous words popularized by Arnold: "Whatchu talkin bout Willis?" Usually they are uttered by someone looking at me as though I may have never heard it before. Yeah, right! Well this blog is what I (Willis) am talkin bout...my thoughts, observations & opinions. Enjoy...



Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Worst Thing?

What is the worst thing that could happen? I asked that question this past Sunday? How would you answer it, especially without a lot of deliberation? There are many horrible things that could happen. And some of you have beeen through some really difficult times already. And, perhaps, the worst is yet to come.

I asked the question in the context of a broader question: "Why do bad things happen to good people?" This question was part of our "You Asked For It" sermon series. Anyway, I wondered what people would consider to be the worst thing that could happen....death of a child...death of a spouse...a terrible disease...being a victim of an unthinkable crime...the list goes on and on. All of these have something in common = suffering = bad things happening.

Why do such things happen? The capacity to choose (free will) resulted in the possibilty and ultimate reality of sin. The world has been spiralling downward ever since. Jack Cottrell wrote, "God is responsible for the possibility of sin but not its actuality." In this fallen world stuff, bad stuff, happens. Sometimes we reap what we sow. Sometimes we are impacted by what others do. Sometimes this fallen world yields suffering. And sometimes its not apparent why we suffer. Now, back to original question. What's the worst thing that could happen? The answer: Suffering without Christ!

Remember this: Christ will ultimately put an end to suffering for Christians... Thank God!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As soon as I read the title different thoughts about the worst thing that could happen. Of course the loss of my wife and children were at the top along with getting cancer and not being able to see my children grow up.

But when I got to the end I realized of course, living without Christ is the worst thing. People die and tragedies happen everyday, but the worst part is that people die everyday without Christ.

I wonder if that really means anything to us as Christians? I think it should.

William Mckinley Dyer said...

One of the major reasons i never think about giving up on God amidst all the "suffering" i may have is because he has never given up on me.

1st John 4:19--We love because He first loved us.

Everytime i screw up, and it seems to happen frequently, i am amazed that he will forgive me my sins and welcome me back. I dont understand it sometimes.