WHATCHU TALKIN BOUT WILLIS?

I grew up when Diff'rent Strokes was a popular television show. That's no big deal unless your last name is Willis. To this day I still hear those famous words popularized by Arnold: "Whatchu talkin bout Willis?" Usually they are uttered by someone looking at me as though I may have never heard it before. Yeah, right! Well this blog is what I (Willis) am talkin bout...my thoughts, observations & opinions. Enjoy...



Wednesday, November 26, 2008

R.I.P. Riggins

Yesterday was the day - I got the call from Mrs. Willis - our 13 year old German Shepherd Dog, Riggins, was fading fast. Riggins was named after Redskin great John Riggins. He was 13 and in rapidly declining health. I took him to the Vet and did the deed. We buried him in the backyard. I was wondering how our children would react. Our oldest (10)? She cried. She has a extra soft spot for animals like her Mom. Our middle child (7)? She asked about a getting a new puppy or a kitten. Our youngest (5)? He wanted to know if we could dig up the dog and look at him. It was sad all in all. It's tough to see your wife sad. He was technically "her dog" and she picked him out. Riggins had been around since before Tammy and I were married. I actually bought him for her while we were engaged. He had his faults - nonstop barking, destruction of many items, escaping form the yard numerous times, etc. But he was a good dog in many ways. He was good with our children and protected the family. He also kept his fair share of door to door solicitors away. He is survived by Lu-Lu (our American Bulldog) & Rascal (our guinea pig).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your youngest may be heading for a career in forensic science. My 6-year-old loves to watch the shows "Mystery Diagnosis" and "Dr. G" (the autopsy doc).

My condolences on the loss of Riggins. I, too, have a dog (a cocker... a hyper, annoying cocker). I really don't like him (sorry, pet lovers). My wife bought him on my birthday for herself. After he goes the way of all flesh, that's it... no more pets (hopefully).

Happy Thanksgiving, Willis.

David H. Willis said...

Thanks. Happy one to you too.

Soren said...

Sorry to hear about Riggins (that's a great name for a dog, by the way). We had to put our dog down a few weeks ago. Sounds like you handled it well.

My best to the Willis family!