A preacher decided that a visual demonstration would add emphasis to his Sunday sermon.Three worms were placed into separate jars...
1. The first worm was put into a jar of alcohol.
2. The second worm was put into a jar of cigarette smoke.
3. The third worm was put into a jar of good, clean soil.
At the conclusion of the sermon, the minister reported the following results:
1. The first worm in alcohol - DEAD.
2. The second worm in cigarette smoke - DEAD.
3. The third worm in good, clean soil - ALIVE.
So the minister asked the congregation, "What can you learn from this demonstration?"A little old woman in the back quickly raised her hand and said, "As long as you drink or smoke, you won't have worms!"
Admittedly, this is a made up "preacher story" - something I rarely use. But I liked this one and it represents well the failed attempts of guys like me when we attempt to illustrate concepts & ideas while proclaiming the Scriptures. Many, many times I am stunned that people seem to miss what I'm saying. And I know I can't be the only one feeling this way. People have commended me for things I didn't say and challenged me on points I didn't make and everything thing in between. Being misunderstood comes with the territory - just look at Jesus!