WHATCHU TALKIN BOUT WILLIS?

I grew up when Diff'rent Strokes was a popular television show. That's no big deal unless your last name is Willis. To this day I still hear those famous words popularized by Arnold: "Whatchu talkin bout Willis?" Usually they are uttered by someone looking at me as though I may have never heard it before. Yeah, right! Well this blog is what I (Willis) am talkin bout...my thoughts, observations & opinions. Enjoy...



Monday, March 31, 2008

Things I've heard

Here are some things I've heard. If you've been around "church" long enough or if you're in a church leadership position you know where I'm coming from...
(This is just a small sample)
  • The music is too loud.
  • We love the band.
  • Guitar solos are fleshly.
  • Guitar solos are awesome.
  • The music is too slow. (traditional service only)
  • We stand too long.
  • We should use our Bibles more & Powerpoint less.
  • We like having the scripture & songs on the screen.
  • We don't pray enough. Who can oppose this one?
  • We like communion in unison.
  • We need to change the way we do communion.
  • Communion meditations take too long.
  • We shouldn't rush communion.
  • We should dress up for church.
  • We shouldn't dress up for church.
  • We like the way we used to do it.
  • WE LIKE THE WAY WE USED TO DO IT.
  • We need Wednesday nights at the church building.
  • We prefer small group meeting in homes.
  • We should put out offereing boxes and stop passing the plates (or bags).
  • Offering is an "act of worship" & should be a part of the service.

Meanwhile back in the world people are headed toward eternal destruction.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave----did you get the DVD's yet? I sent them Thursday. Tell me if they get there OK.
I'm happy because I was right on 3 of the 4 final four teams on my bracket. I picked North Carolina, UCLA and Memphis-------I didnt pick Kansas. I picked Memphis to win it all.

Soren said...

Ahd who can forget..."Bless your heart, Jesus didn't smoke!"

David H. Willis said...

Or "Let the men be men, the women-women and the boys - boys!

David H. Willis said...

Larry,

No DVD's yet. I think UNC will get it doen (though I'm no UNC fan).

David H. Willis said...

Larry,

Got the DVD's. I'll try to watch them over the next week or so. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

ok good---I have more where they came from!