WHATCHU TALKIN BOUT WILLIS?

I grew up when Diff'rent Strokes was a popular television show. That's no big deal unless your last name is Willis. To this day I still hear those famous words popularized by Arnold: "Whatchu talkin bout Willis?" Usually they are uttered by someone looking at me as though I may have never heard it before. Yeah, right! Well this blog is what I (Willis) am talkin bout...my thoughts, observations & opinions. Enjoy...



Monday, June 15, 2009

"Christian" Concerts


I've been doing some introspection and I realize that I've changed over the years when it comes to "Christian" music, especially with regard to attending concerts. Those who've known me for several years may know that I used to have an extensive collection of music and I would travel to hear my favorites. It was a passion for sure. I used to be all about going to a "Christian concert." I saw many of the big names of the 80's & 90's. I loved being there. Nowadays I won't drive up to Busch Gardens (30 minutes away) to watch the Christian celebrities do their thing. I'm not sure why. Maybe I don't like the music (true sometimes), but I do have several newer tunes on my Nano. Maybe it's because so much of the music now is "worship & praise." They may sound odd, but "Christian" music definitely took a turn back in the 90's. Maybe I don't like the hype (people will go nuts to "worship" with the big name band, but rountinely avoid Bible teaching and serving others (yeah that bugs me). Maybe it's because I used to have an "encounter God" mindset and I don't anymore. Let me explain. The idea was/is that you "encounter God" through "worship." Let me describe this worship: It is almost exclusively contemporary musically and usually starts up-tempo and moves toward a slower more intimate time of singing. Then, after we "are in the presence of God" or in the "thrown room" we are said to have "encountered God." (At least this is how I used to explain it back in the day.) Usually people will return from one of these gatherings speaking of how they had a great time of worship. What exactly does that mean?

Now, instead of trying to indulge in great experiences, I recognize and embrace the omnipresence of God. I don't need a special place with proper lighting, sound equipment and the requisite hip band to worship God! Yes, I do enjoy hip bands, but Scripture calls me (& you) to be living sacrifices who offer ourselves, our lives to worship God (Rom. 12:1). Don't get wrong - music can be worship, but it shouldn't be a synonym for it as it has become today.


Furthermore, I no longer "go to church" to worship God. (I know you are now thinking I've gone nuts & that's entirely possible!). Actually, I go hoping to practice the "one anothers" of Scripture, to participation in Communion, etc. But that's another post altogether.

4 comments:

The Seeking Disciple said...

Perhaps like me you are getting too old. I just don't have the same energy I had at age 20! Amazing how that thing about 100 out of 100 people die is starting to seem true to me!

On a serious note, I don't attend the concerts too often because: I don't want to pay (even the free ones want an offering), I don't like much of the music coming out of the CCM world, and lastly, the gospel is often watered down at the concerts and no emphasis at all on baptism.

David H. Willis said...

I agree (& yes I am getting old!).

William Mckinley Dyer said...

Haha what does that say about me? Yesterday they were like, "Who wants to go to the concert?" Everyone raised their hands and i was like heck naw. So i went for 5 min and left. I would rather people watch than go to some concert.

David H. Willis said...

You are wise beyond your years.