WHATCHU TALKIN BOUT WILLIS?

I grew up when Diff'rent Strokes was a popular television show. That's no big deal unless your last name is Willis. To this day I still hear those famous words popularized by Arnold: "Whatchu talkin bout Willis?" Usually they are uttered by someone looking at me as though I may have never heard it before. Yeah, right! Well this blog is what I (Willis) am talkin bout...my thoughts, observations & opinions. Enjoy...



Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Reading Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis

Reading "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis I was stunned by how many quotes attributed to Lewis which come from this book. Here's one of the most well known.
I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: 'I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God.' That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic -- on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg -- or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to. – Mere Christianity

I'm really enjoying this classic book. I've read portions of it at various times over the years, but I think this may be the first time I've gone cover to cover with it. Anyway, if you haven't read it, or if it has been a few years since you have, I'd suggest you pick it up. It will stretch you for sure, but it will also draw you in. C.S. Lewis was obviously a brilliant man and has made lasting contributions through his numerous books. As always, be a Berean.

No comments: