WHATCHU TALKIN BOUT WILLIS?

I grew up when Diff'rent Strokes was a popular television show. That's no big deal unless your last name is Willis. To this day I still hear those famous words popularized by Arnold: "Whatchu talkin bout Willis?" Usually they are uttered by someone looking at me as though I may have never heard it before. Yeah, right! Well this blog is what I (Willis) am talkin bout...my thoughts, observations & opinions. Enjoy...



Friday, April 24, 2009

Fishing poles, bicycles & asphalt...OUCH!

Yesterday I attempted a relatively short bicycle ride with my lovely wife. We were preparing for a 100 mile ride tomorrow that starts on the campus of Roanoke Bible College. About five miles into our ride we encounter an obstacle of sorts - a fishing pole! How? Well we were getting it at about 20 miles per hour and approaching some seemingly harmless parked cars when a man pulls a fishing pole from his trunk and whips it out into the street. Tammy brakes and I try to swing wide. I caught her bike tire a slammed onto the asphalt. OUCH! We both wreck, but thankfully her injuries were minor. The street was not particulary receptive to me and my flailing body. I slammed onto the pavement pretty hard and my helmet saved my from a potentially very serious accident. Waer your helmets boys & girls! I went down on my left side and acquired some big time road rash. Worst of all I smashed my shoulder - the same one I separated a few years ago. Anyway, I lay in the street for a bit while a few folks drove around me! Yeah, I thought about the Good Samaritan too. I won't bore you with all the details, but I've done the ER, pain pills, anti-nflammatory pills, a visit to an Orthopedist, my first cortisone injection and I have an MRI on my calendar. The good news is that I am eating very wel! My long time friend Frank brought over two double cheese what-a-burgers (the best). And my mom brought me 2 bags of caramel creams - my fav candy! So now I have a bum shoulder and a bulging midsection, but hey it could've been worse!

3 comments:

William Mckinley Dyer said...

You will just go to all lengths to get out of that diet you were suppose to be on. What a shame, u gotta result to self-inflicted, probably on purpose, pain so you can eat cheeseburgers and candy

Soren said...

Ouch! That had to hurt. I'm glad is wasn't worse. And you can't go wrong with what-a-burger. Doctor's orders, right?

I wonder if Piper/Carson/Keller would say your crash was predestined?

And why did I have a strong urge to buy Tulips today? Weird.

Melissa said...

Ouch!! Sorry to hear about that!! That truly stinks!! Hope you are feeling better soon and back on your bike :)